Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An Update...Finally (13 weeks/5 weeks adjusted)

It's been almost a month since I've posted. Been just a little busy :) Life with preemie triplets and a toddler is crazy and wonderful at the same time. Sometines more one than the other. Jozey has adjusted very well to all of the babies. She thinks they are all named Errol. She is very close to being potty trained and asically started it on her own. We have casually put her on the toilet for a few months now, but she would only poop. On Wednesday, she kept her diaper dry for 4 hrs and peed when I put her on the toilet before naptime. There has been no turning back since. No more than one accident a day except for when she is sleeping. She is still wearing pull ups to bed and at nap time. I assume bladder control during sleep takes a while. The things she says crack us up constantly. My mom sings TV theme songs to her and she can now sing the entire Gilligan's Island theme song by herself. You have to know what shes saying to understand it, but it's still pretty amazing. SHe is also counting to 11 and saying the alphabet. She occasionally misses a letter here or there, but still impressive. She will be 22 months on Saturday. She loves to role play with her baby dolls. She feeds, burps, changes, rocks, and swaddles them. She likes to sing to the triplets when they get upset. if she hears one of them crying on the monitor, she say, "you go check on Errol".

The babies are doing very well. Our Help Me Grow coordinator gave us their progress report last week and they are right on target for their adjusted age. They will continue to be monitored so we can catch any delays early. We are back to feeding every three hrs. They eat 3-4oz at a time. We started Babywise with them last Thursday and they seem to be much more content. Basically it suggests that you do cycles of feed/wake time/nap every three hrs, in that order. We put them to bed after their 7pm feeding and then wake them at 10pm for a "dream-feed". Basically we feed them without fully waking them. Afte that we let them wake up on their own. They usually start fussing at about 2:30 and I try to hold them off as long as I can unless they get hysterical. The past few nights they've gone till 4 or 5. This system has I think it was >90% of babies sleeping through the night by 8 weeks (which would be 16 wks or 8 weeks adjusted for our babies). It's kind of controversial, but I'm not really sure why except that we don't run in every time they cry. We usually let them go ten minutes before we console them. It rarely takes that long though. Some people have a problem with feeding on a schedule, but if they are obviously hungry earlier than 3hrs we feed them. They are napping better and are content for longer periods every day. When I'm alone with them I rotate them through feed/wake/nap about a half hr behind each other so I rarely have three hungry babies at once. For instance, when it's time for them to eat I start with whoever is awake or stirring in their crib. If no one is, I take a guess at who will wake first (I pick wrong sometimes and end up with someone crying waiting to be fed). I feed the first one then lay them on the activity mat or in a bouncey seat or boppy pillow where I can interact with them and keep them awake while I feed the next one. Then I lay the first one down for a nap, move the second one to an awake activity, and go get the third to feed. After I feed the third I lay the second down and interact with the third a while. Then the third lays down and I have 1.5-2 hrs to play with Jozey or do whatever needs to be done before the cycle begins again. Pretty busy, but it's working well for me. I usually get some time in the afternoon when all four kids are asleep. That's very nice.

The babies go for their two month shots tomorrow. The Dr delayed them so they would be a little chubbier for the injections. At last check Avery had passed Errol. She was 8-4, Errol was 8, and Layla was 5-14. We got their Zantac doses increased and have changed Errol and Avery's sleeping positions and that seems to have helped the reflux some. They are all still very messy eaters. Errol is starting to have more content awake periods and is crying less. He started smiling a lot yesterday. His MRI showed that his bump is a dermoid cyst and has no brain involvement. very relieved about that. It does need to be removed though because of the risk of infection, but we the Dr said it's okay to wait six months for him to get bigger because he will have to be under general anesthesia for the surgery. Avery is her same happy self and is smiling too. Layla is not quite so laid back. She still startles easily and always seem to be on high alert. Adam calls her animal, like the crazy muppet :)

My mom is doing great with all of them on Mondays while I'm sleeping after work. She has been such a big help. My aunt Jill comes over every Friday and helps out too. There are others who occasionally help that we also appreciate, but they are the ones who are constantly doing whatever they can to make things easier on us. My parents have voluntarily watched the kids so we could go out multiple times. I'm going to the Dayton Mother's of Twins meeting Thursday and am very excited about meeting other multiple birth moms.

Thats all of the updates I can think of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment